Friday, October 19, 2007

Back from Kimchi-land

I'm glad to announce that me and about 35 packets of milk made it back safely from Pusan :) It wasn't such a bad experience, only got stopped once at Seoul Incheon Airport and had to explain why I was carrying a cooler bag with an ice-brick and several bottles of milk on board. The funny thing was that the problem was with the ice-brick and not the milk but then again, with the breakdown in communications....But they were nice enuf to let me pass with all in tact. Everything else I froze using the hotel's freezer and packed into 3 cooler bags with many ice-bricks in my check-in luggage which came up to 30.3kg. Huffed and puffed lugging it around but all ended well with precious milk making it back safely into my freezer :)

Pusan was quite fun coz I was in good company. Managed to catch 3 films this time round - (i) Help Me Eros by Lee Kang Sheng, which was a subtly disguised soft-porn arty farty flick with a disturbing scene involving a naked woman and a bathtub full of eels. I'll never look at unagi the same again *shudder*. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise given that the director is Tsai Ming Liang's alter ego; (ii) The Haunted Samurai - entertaining Japanese comedy which I caught purely coz Satoshi Tsumabuki was in it *drool*; and (iii) Sukiyaki Western Django - a mind-boggling Japanese Western with the Japanese cast sprouting English dialogue complete with a Western drawl. Directed by Takashi Miike and with a cameo by Quentin Tarantino, the movie was at times funny and poignant but mostly bizarre. Unfortunately we missed the Hero screening and its star Takuya Kimura by a day :(


Second time in Pusan and I finally saw more than the Haeundae beach area coz we bravely took the 1+ hour subway ride into town. Was quite happening with the PIFF activities, night market and neon-lit shops.





And the food this time was quite yummy too. Don't know the names of the dishes, but we had pretty decent chow including blowfish soup, kimchi fried rice, bugolgi but after a while we got pretty sick of all the spicy stuff and normal sandwiches tasted damn good :)

So glad to be home with the little rascal again!! :)

No comments: