Thursday, September 07, 2006

Apparently the Russians are the worst drivers in Europe, with 25% of them admitting to having sex whilst driving. Gee, they must be tremendously talented to multi-task like that...

Met up with my secondary school galpals a couple of days ago. I realise that as we get older, the more we like to reminisce about the past - the good ol' school days and the teenage years. We never really embrace what we have now or talk about the good life that we have now...I mean nobody's starving or sick or below the poverty line. So why is it that we are so reluctant to talk about what's going on in our lives now? Is it becoz of the fear of comparison, the fear of being judged or the fear of being belittled? Or is it that we have deeper darker secrets now? It's strange and a little sad that with my oldest and supposedly closet friends I remember them best for being who they were in school, and not who they are now, coz I really don't know much about their lives now.

I had a BBQ sambal stingray yesterday - dedicated it to Steve "Crikey" Irwin.

1 comment:

Joe Yap said...

Maybe they (your sec school friends) might read this post and start talking more about the now than the then. :)

I'd add another theory to the mix. As you get older, the differences become greater and things become more complicated. So it becomes easier to revert back to the 'lowest common denominator' in terms of topics.

I used to hang out with a group of ah bengs during two seperate periods. The first group was all about discos (sparks and fire) and getting alcohol. The second group were scooter nuts and could only talk about scooters and their partying night outs.

The larger the group, the more likely topics will revert to the lowest common denominator to cater to everyone.